Friday, September 4, 2020

New Bikes!


I wasn't about to take another junky Kip bike again on a cross country tour. I messaged my friend, Jamison (Meatsticks) about which bike is best. He said to get a Montague. Those are the latest in cycling fashion but unfortunately are sold out in America because people are Sheep. Not one to give in to despair, I looked up the distributor in Japan and what do you know, they had some in stock. Holly and I took the Bullet Trian (the Shin) down to Kitakyushu where we met with the owner, Shido, and he presented us with two shiny bicycles* at a hefty discount. 

Montague bikes are coolo for many reasons:
  • The military strapped them to their backs as they parachuted out of airplanes
  • They are fullsize and foldable. You don't typically find both features in one
  • The back rack unlatches and swings under the tire so it can act as a kickstand allowing the wheel to rotate freely
  • They come in many styles including mountain bikes
Since we'll be taking the Shin during parts of our journey, these are perfect to fold up and place behind our seats. 

If you guys are on your best behavior I'll demonstrate how easily the bicycle folds up.


*Names are pending

2 comments:

Brandon [Jab] Gibson said...

How has the endurance of the foldable bikes worked out so far?

Kimball said...

Brandon, so far we have had to fold/unfold 7 or 8 times. The endurance of it has held up well so far even with our heavy loads. My tires are very skinny and I am waiting till I get back to Iwakuni to get wider tires.