Friday, October 16, 2020

"Country roads, take me home!"

    What are we on the 4th week of riding now? Every day this week has been feeling the same, but in a good way. I'll ask The Status Quo, "Where did we camp last night?" And I really have to thunk like a monk. We have been cranking out kilometers and making our way down Hokkaido. It's all neat. 


Behold.


Here's a fun manhole.

A Tender Mercy that we found this free campsite outside Asahikawa. That shelter kept us dry from the rain all night. And with the bright lights we were able to finally mount our front racks on our bikes. This weekend we should be able to get the rest of our gear in Sapporo that we mailed to ourselves from Iwakuni when we left.

Good morning Shelob. 

Almost every day it was either cloudy and nice or it was rainy and cold. 

A neat little Pagoda. I don't think this one had any Phoenixes for sale in it. Looked empty.
HollyQuayChiu and I sawl a bear a few months back on one of our Weekend Adventures in Yamaguchi. So they do exist but I hope to not see them again. I watched that cougar "stalking" video that went viral last week. Stupid cat.


I love biking through the tunnels. I don't know if you guys get this while riding, but when it gets really dark all of a sudden because a light bulb is burned out, my sense of balance just shuts down and it's hard to go in a straight line or keep my balance until I get out of the dark. This tunnel was well lit up so it made riding easier. But they're not all like this. 

Another fun one. 

And speaking of another one, here's another naked statue. They're all over the place but this one was creepy AF. As you can see, it's placed out in front of this abandoned hotel in broad daylight like Fred was in I Am Legend

This used to be one of the kitchens. We made the mistake of opening the fridge and there was still meat in it from Beep knows how long ago. Stunk of a few of the rooms and quick. 

From the outside view. 

There are still some salvageable things in here, too.
You have to just look at it.


It'd be nice if this was in working order. Great place to go visit. 

Had we arrived in the night, this room would have provided an excellent place to camp. 

This deerer was being so very Still.
They just up and left without taking anything with them. 


Crap, I forgot to rotate this one. Looks like it was set on fire. 

Isn't that wild?

One of the hotel rooms. Ruined. 

Making some lunch with our Eternal Cabbage. That thing is heavy and won't go away. But it was cheap only like 150 Yen.

Free foot spa. Was very nice.
In honor of my dad. He's never seen an 11% grade on a paved public road. At least I don't think he has. We'll see if he ever reads this post and comments on it. "Then we'll see who gets invited to the finest parties!"


Some of the roads are already closed for winter. This is great because then us bikers get them all to ourselves.

Whoever finds the Asian Pear wins. You have to send the screenshot with it circled. You can't cheat, either. I know how you guys are. 

This 道の駅 was a great big let down. Which reminds me, I need to give it 1-star on Google Maps and rip them a new one. BTW I'm a level 8 guide now so I'm credible. The only redeeming quality is we were able to stay inside as shown in the pic. It was cold that night. 
Flowers still grow in the fall.


But if you're here in Japan in July come here because the lavender flowers are out of this world they say. 

And speaking of lavender, here is my lavender rice cream. It was so good. 

This lady took a good pic of us. 

And HQC got a good one of me.

After the Tomita Farms we went to a really nice onsen. Onsens are multiple hot tubs, usually heated from hot springs, where you indulge with other Naked people of the same gender with whom you identify. Look at the Old Bags struggle to get up the stairs.  

Nice spring to fill up my lone water bottle.

There are a lot of these shacks that have veggies and other produce in them with a listed price. You simply pay and take what's rightfully yours. No fuss.
"It's Cccchhhhhhristmas!"


I'm missing the plentiful shrines from Honshu.

I can't remember why I took this pic.

Some of our roads ended up being dirt and gravel. 

Rainy but having a great time because even a crappy day of biking is better than showing up for work.

Biking on the road less traveled.



I take lots of pics throughout the day.

Holly will get a few of me.

A lot of the roads have nice big sidewalks like you can see here. 

Other times they don't and you ride like you would in the States. 

Another 道の駅 to the rescue.

The road less traveled like my dad's favorite poem. 
Yeah, they sure love to recycle here. I still think it's a scam, though.


Cold day for biking. 

Even in Japan the crappy firemen think they're the Center of the Universe. Have I told  you how much I hate firemen? I haven't? Well I do. 

They got these half tunnels here that I like.

She's about to go into one. You can see it right there.

You guys thought the Loch Ness Monster lived in Scotland or wherever. Nope, no good. No wonder you can't find him. He's in Japan.  

Quay Chiu needed to use the Can. 

"Let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go! Wake up Gentlemen it's late, It's 3AM in the morning!"


"Far over....the Misty Mountains cold...." 
I'm Thorin. 

We spent a few hours at this 道の駅. The farmer's market had some good deals on produce.

I'm not about to pass up on a nice rice cream shop, either. Thank you very much. 

Well, we finally made our goal to Sapporo and got here early enough to rest on both Saturday and Sunday. The past few weeks we found the ox wallowing in the mire and we had to help him out, thus effectively ruining our Sabbath days. "But it is not this day! This day we fight!"

2 comments:

Janalee said...

CAnnot stop over the dearrer so very still caption. It should be in a children's book.

So mad you called them old bags. That will be me some day, if it isn't already.

such funny captions. And so many that I can't truly digest each one the way they deserve.

Kimball said...

I love the deerer. No, you're like Grandma Stevens and she was robust, not an old bag. Make sure you read every last caption.