Monday, October 26, 2020

Last Few Days of Hokkaido

 You know, around this time 12 years ago I was finishing up my cross country trip of America. This time I will be riding well into the fall and even a bit o' winter. Quite the contrast. 

But let's begin, shall we?

Took us forever to find a ramen shop that was open before lunch in Sapporo but we did it. "Shame we didn't take some time to look around up there." Meaning, had we went just another store down we could have had the notorious curry ramen. 
It was at this precise location I saw a DeLorean drive by. 


Look at this weirdly shaped tunnel. Who did this? 😂

You sure don't get these great sunsets in Utah. 

Mt Yotei is to the right.

Very cold morning to ride. We froze on our way down this mountain. 
I didn't know potatoes grew like this. Did you?


I think this is Mt. Yotei. Or the other volcano.

This lake was formed from a volcano after parts of the caldera collapsed.

There's a neat shrine that goes out to the lake.

Here's the shrine up close. You have to just look at it.

Very peaceful out here. We decided to stop for lunch.

The Quay is excited to eat lunch.

If this was an apple tree you could eat it.

Here's a personal favorite of mine.


Nice view as we ate lunch.


One of the 道の駅 we stayed at. This one let us stay indoors, which is great because it's getting pretty cold during the nights. 

We took the day off to ride the train to some hot springs. This train was full of High School students making their daily journey to school. Soon, they had to stand because every seat was taken. Well, except the ones in front of Holly and I. For some reason they didn't want to sit on those seats and they chose to stand.

No Honor.

Just some of the demons I battle daily.

The classic.

Rivers of boiling liquid run through Beep's Valley. Just like the real Beep.
It's like a mini Yellowstone, but without Old Faithful.


I like how you can see the rock formation from the trees as it overlooks the geothermal activity.

It's all neat.

Sometimes in life, if you don't just look at something you won't see it. "Would you just look at it?!"

This fun lake had hot water in it.

Another boiling river.

We're looking for the foot bath to rest our weary and worn-travelled feet.

Found it! There are a lot of foot baths in Japan. They're nice.

I'm just looking at it. 

Thinking if I should jump in, what will I come out as.

I'm holding onto his Booger Finger.

Like my friend, Jerry's late father, he would sit on his throne as the King of Kings shown here.

This little touristy town was great for exploring. My coworker, Brandon, would love it here. Explore!

Haha these signs were so funny.

Roar! Don't get between me and my bear.

Have you ever drank salmon before? If not then you didn't have a childhood. These bears have it made.

Just a little bit longer in the foot bath, I promise.

Some construction in the Tunnel gave me ample time to do the infamous Owl Face.

Decrepit tunnel.

Here's another 道の駅 we stayed at. Not inside, though. But we saved some of our stove fuel by using their microwave to heat up our delicious meals.  

Since I didn't grow up by the ocean, I don't get tired of seeing ocean views. I still pick mountains over beach any day. 

This little store was great. A lot of treats for free to sample. I ate so many then felt guilty so I bought some, too. My parents taught me well.

I wish this restaurant was open. Looked all neat.

It's gnat season. Look at my shirt. I'm covered. A few days back I was wearing sunglasses and I would get so many gnats in my eye. HQC and I have to periodically stop to get the bugs out of each others eyes. They're a real PITA.

I had heard that there are outdoor baths in the woods. We finally found one. This one provided a cold water hose because the water gets too dang hot if you don't offset it.

The little bath is right next to the roaring river. 

Perfect ambiance. You don't get this in Texas.

We used this little changing booth as our camp for the evening. A little cramped but it kept us dry while it rained all night. And the bugs didn't bother me at all, either.

See, the bath is right there.

The next day I could only manage to capture this pic because we got rained on the whole time and I was cold.

Usually Japan has horizontal stoplights, like most of Texas has. But here in Hokkaido they are vertical like the rest of the US. I like their stoplights because they're flat and sleek. Why can't the US make good stoplights like these?

Found Charlie Sheen's hotel. 

"I'm bi-winning."
I went to lean back in one of the chairs in this restaurant and nearly fell over because there wasn't a tall back to them. I looked around to inspect it. Look how rink-a-dink these seats are.


The Goryokaku is a neat pentagram shaped fort. But 9 gold to take the tower to overlook it was a little steep for me. Some of us are actually poor. And I remind Holly daily that some of us grew up poor and couldn't afford the finer things in life.

There are mounds surrounding the pentagon so you could get somewhat of an elevated view.

Cool vegetation.

These mounds right here.
If this toy was sold in the States feminists would have a hay day. You thought the riots were bad this summer. They would be livid.  


Finally, church is back in session!

Here's the brothel we stayed at for the weekend in Hakodate. A bunch of college students live here for free and they were very nice.

Here we are entering the belly of the beast saying goodbye to Hokkaido and on to conquer Honshu!

Chapter 3 is in the record books.


6 comments:

Kara Dalmacio said...

Great pics and commentary, as usual! Enjoying these posts!

Kimball said...

Thanks Kara! You're my only fan now. Everyone else is playing the Quiet Game. And I hate it.

Inke Maris said...

Me! Me! I know the potato grows like that lol
Maybe just you never know it before haha
Woww the shrine so cool!
And wow how tent indoor? They let you build the tent indoor? I think you can build a tent with closed eyes now.
How much the boat cost? It rides to across the ocean? Hokkaido is an island split to main island of Japan?

Kimball said...

Good job. They don't know where' putting up the tent because no one is there by the time we arrive. The 道の駅 is always closed! Yep, I am an expert at putting up tents. The ferry Hakodate to Aomori costs 3210 yen. It was about 3.5 hours long. Yes, Hokkaido is the north island separated from the main island of Japan. Good work!

Janalee said...

Those gnats!!

I want the foot baths.

Can't believe those little chairs. You should like them though.

Kimball said...

The chairs were ok. I wanted to lean back, though.