Monday, January 1, 2024

Day #3 - Gongliao District to Sanxing

Well, there's been a few hiccups but that's OK and it's expected. Now we just need to mitigate them. The main issue is spokes. I'm no stranger to broken spokes as I've had to repair dozens of them on the sides of roads hundreds of thousands of times. It's nothing to write home about but it gets the job done. The bike rental place gave us basic tools none of which included a spoke wrench (or any wrench). So we depend on going to rural shops to hopefully them or least get us limping along to the next town. But I digress...

We biked 61.63 km (37.33 miles) today! Easy peasy. We should do this everyday! Yeah!... 


Bean helping mama roll up sleeping bags and pads.

Onigiri to the rescue. Look at my dorky helmet. 

Blurry photo for all you Gen Zers!

Loved this bike tunnel and it was only for bikes, too. 

The Buddhist temples are pretty different looking than the ones in Japan. I like how each region gives their own flair and artistic touch.

Everyone asks me if Holly is Buddhist. 

And for the curious minds, the bean does really well in her trailer. Rarely cries. She plays with her toys and looks around while make cute noises saying "wow!!" or eats her snacks and sleeps,

Foot baths! What a gem to find after a day of riding. Also, a good stop to change the bean's huge poopy diaper that went up her back and through two layers of clothes. Wished I had taken a pic for you guys. 

Meatsticks found us some pineapple to feast on!

Excellent bike path.


Sometimes the trailer doesn't always fit so we have to be selective with our bike paths.


These rich houses along the river were so fun to oogle at. Somehow these fat cats are allowed to build these houses if they don't live in them. Otherwise it's illegal so they're all empty. 

Love the Gates. Why don't we have this in America?

Heading to our Warmshowers host for the evening.

...which is at a prison!!

Look at all this good food they made for us. Great hosts, Joy and Wen-Wei!


Questions you may have:

What is Warmshowers? It is an organization that is similar to couch surfing but soley for bicycle tourists. My dad hosted a lot of cyclist when I was growing up. We met a lot of fun people, including the son of Einstein. So I use Warmshowers when I do my rides. In fact, that's how Holly and I met! Makes you think huh?

Did we really stay in a prison? Yes! That's where our host lives because he works at the gate. 

What others questions do you got? Comment below! 👇

7 comments:

Keiko said...

You cannot ride bicycle in Indonesia. Alot of holes. Very dangerous. Is Holly really Buddhist? Very nice of the host. I might can host people but my parents will hate it hahahaha but I did host traveller once in my life for whole month. You should learn to repair the spikes then. I love how organize everything

Kimball said...

Naaa Holly says she's not anything. Wow, you hosted someone for month? That must have been the best. Why did he stay so long? I hope he helped pay the electrical bill!

We want to ride in Indonesia. Bring on the potholes.

Anonymous said...

I’d like to see a video of Lilly saying wow, please.

Anonymous said...

It looks like Lily Rose wants to start walking. She is so precious!

Kimball said...

It's tough to get a vid of her saying wow because she doesn't do it on command yet.

Anonymous said...

That biking tunnel is amazing! Glad you got to stay in a building this night. Looks like a fun day.
-favorite cousin Chase

Kimball said...

Yeah, that bike tunnel was all neat. Taiwan was pretty bike friendly.