Sunday, October 26, 2008

One ride ends, another ride begins.


I enjoyed a delicious lunch in Oregon of a bread bowel-movement.

We traveled in style- the Micheal Scott way. A 2008 Chrysler Sebring.


I decided to hang out at the Cool Zone, I felt very comfortable there almost as if it was home.



We had the rare privilege of visiting the Full House house in San Fransisco. They painted the door black to mix things up and keep people on their toes. And to keep Kimmy Gibbler out.




We spent a wild day in six flags. It was all fun and since it was a friday and winter and the economy is horrible the park was empty and we rode on 100% more rides than on a normal, packed day. We enjoyed the time traveling from the end and "coming home to Arizona," as Dave Mustaine famously put it in his hit classic, "Motopsycho." So now the trip has physically ended and the last post I forgot to include Lindsay's two-cents. So now she can tell what she thought of her 8-day adventure and wrapping up this chapter of my adventures. Ready? "Is everybody in? Is everybody in? Is everybody in????"(Guess which six flags ride that was said at.)
"Well, that was quite an adventure! Not that I have ever given birth before, but I think the ride can be compared to child birth. I know there was a lot of pain and pushing the whole time, but now that it is over, all of the bad memories seem to fade and I just remember the joy and memories I now have of the ride. Every night, though, there was some different "adventure" the scared me to near tears.
For instance, camping by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere amongst howling coyotes.
A few nights later: Riding on the back roads in the woods at 5000 feet as night fell and the temperature began dropping, the rain getting heavier. I had to ignore the freezing pain and ride as fast as I could to make it to the next destination - that we weren't really sure where it was (or else sleep in the dark, wet woods with the bears).
And then another night: trying to decide if we should trust our gut feeling to stop riding to a stranger's house deep in the woods - he had come up to us at a gas station after overhearing that we couldn't find any camping spots in town and invited us over for "pasta" and a place to sleep. He drew a map for us to his house and gave us candy, and we said we'd be there later. By the time we had ridden all the way out to the area he lived in, it was dark and we were getting further and further away from town and other houses, deeper and deeper into the woods. I just kept picturing us on Unsolved Mysteries and started getting really scared. Finally, I just told Kimball we had to get out of there, and despite the soreness and tiredness from the 10-hr day of riding, my legs pumped that bike away from there like they were in perfect condition for the next hour. I couldn't have gotten away from that place faster.
...And then to hear Kimball describe these races away from death as "neat" on the phone the next day to a friend.
Kimball is my little brother that I used to take care of, but he really took care of me on this trip. He is so strong - physically, mentally, spiritually. And he is so patient and funny! I really got to know him better, and I honestly thought I already knew him really well. The bike ride was really fun, yet really painful. Very scary, yet so beautiful. Extremely hard, but so worth it! I felt like I was a world away from my regular life! It was so challenging (physically and mentally). But I did it (I almost rented a car half-way through because I was so discouraged and my knees, hands and seat hurt so bad!). And I have to thank Kimball for inviting me and helping me through it all. He makes it all sound so easy on his blog. He is really tough. Or maybe I am just a wimp. :)"
Alright, well that was a classic ending to a classic story. I think it's time for lights out and time to leep cuz I haven't gotten much shut-eye in the past week, you know with riding and all and accually doing something with my life. It takes a toll on one. "For whom the bell tolls." Tune in next time for bonus never before seen footage of the trip and my final beech.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When's the next Q & A Session?

Kimball said...

I'll be doing it soon if the public wants it.

Julie said...

Lindsay, I like the way you describe the scary man...it's like reading a book!! And yeah, I would have gotten the heck out of there really fast too. I hope the candy he gave you wasn't a bunch of gold coins.