Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Day 13: Varmahlíð to Sæberg

Miles: 75.53

Seems like for the past week I've just been complaining about the headwinds. When your lifestyle is void of #firstworldproblems then the things that matter most are what you focus on. In our case the winds. They've been rough on this north side of the island. Today, our route led us in a northwest direction. Roughly where the winds were coming from. It was also raining a bit. so we were chilled. At the halfway point of our journey we found ourselves at a nice gas station to warm up. Perfect timing. At this same point our direction of travel was going to be taking a southerly turn so now that means a tailwind!!! These are the best. Despite the heavier rains now, at least we had a tailwind, which I'll gratefully take. 

One of the reasons I enjoy biking vs driving is that I am more grateful for small things and other problems disappear.

Look. This is my favorite. A village with a church. I still haven't figured out how many people are attending these churches since there are like 5 houses in the neighborhood.

Gas station food. My friend Dave's (with the tiny earers) favorite. This is an Icelandic dog. It comes with friend or grilled onions and some type of sauce. The bun was like a panini bun. I liked it. 

I'm loving the candy here. Not only is it in abundance of Black Licorice but also the candy is lighter and not as sweet.

We found 3 potatoes and half bags of rice at this campsite. Holly cooked up a dish for us for dinner. As she served it she said she was grateful that I'm not a fussy eater. I'm also grateful she's not a fussy eater. After a long day of riding this was really good. And that's saying something.

We wanted to sleep in here but the owner came in as we were rolling out our matts and she said "It's impossible for you to sleep in here." dang you, lady.

So we went outside in the wind. But we woke up to a nice, sunny and dry morning which was a Tender Mercy. Did I tell you how Holly's tent pole broke the first night? It's made sleeping in her tent more cramped and less stable in the ferocious winds. Also, there's our friend, Lisa's tent behind us. Our paths keep crossing! 


1 comment:

Mom said...

Why didn't you fix your tent pole with the duct tape which you said you never used?