Saturday, July 9, 2022

Day 9: Guesthouse Skjöldólfsstadir to Myvatn

Miles: 79.38

After yesterday's debacle we were determined to do better. After all, we have to make it to Akureyri for our hostel reservation and Sunday worship by tomorrow. Winds weren't that bad but it did come with a price of rain. So now we're going slow from a headwind and getting wet and cold. Like yesterday, it didn't dampen my moods as much. Maybe it's because I've been engrossed in my audiobooks. Every since we left E-town, Iceland has taken on a different ambiance. It's much more like Mars or the Moon in this part of the country. Grey-brown jagged rocks. Not much vegetation. Even the sheep aren't as prevalent. There were no towns that we passed through all day, which was queer. Thankfully, we found a nice café to dry off and went bankrupt ordering a small bowl or soup with a sandwich. 

We abandoned our plan of staying at this haunted campsite after not getting good vibes from it and high-tailed it down to Myvatn. I made a brief detour to see where a scene from the movie, Oblivion, was filmed.

Holly and I love to see the swans out in nature. Especially when they have a squad with them.

Here's that blessing of a café we had a small lunch at.

When are they going to make a camera that captures how our eyes see it? None of my pics do them justice when I post them here.

I like to post pics of my faithful bike just waiting patiently for me to get done peeing by the side of the road.

You may remember this football field from the Oblivion.

It's all that's left of planet earth. Watch


While I was riding it was literally hendykavejuresa. There's an old fable in Paraguay that I'll share with yo. A long time ago, an older caballero was mounting his horse. This gentleman was rather wealthy you see. For in his pockets were stashes of gold coins. As he swung his leg up over the horse, the weight of the gold coins caused them to spill out of his pockets and pile on to the ground. The gold was so glittery that it sparkled in the horses eye. Hendukavejuresa. In guarani that means the horses eye is shiny. translating to I'm poor because all my money fell out of my pocket. My eye glittered like the horse when I saw all these gold krona's on the side of the road. 
To quote Ben Affleck's Batman, "I'm rich".

Right before town we sawl this coolo geothermal activity.

I wondered what it'd be like to push someone in these mud pits. Would their face and head melt right off?

We need more of these in the world. 


No comments: