Saturday, July 16, 2022

Day 17: Hjalli Kjós Camp to Reykjavic

Miles 32.58

Last day! A nice one to end the journey on.

Forecast called for rain but Tender Mercies from the Lord said otherwise.

Look at the small Ox go!

Last waterfall to behold.

This rainbow was so close to us. Too bad the Icelanders don't believe in leprechauns instead of elves. We'd be rich.

I have to have Taco Bell in every country I go to. They had a bacon gordita that was so good. Not sure if you can get that in the States. But the food was so expensive. Just this was food here was over 20 gold coins.

Doesn't this Mt Dew look different than the kind in the States? More neon.

Reykjavik has so many bike paths. I love it.

Nice bike paths in the woods.

Attention City Planners: Do this. Bike paths next to all major roads.

I love when they make unconventional bike racks.

This was a Wolt fish or something weird. But it was the best white fish I've ever had. Litrilly melted in my mouth.

Here's some fun whale meat. It had a very smooth texture and fish taste.

Holly ordered another kind of fish. 

And finally our lobster soup. This restaurant had us sit outside cuz they were so busy. But they wouldn't pull out the verandas when it started to rain so we ate our food like that one meme.

Best rice cream hands down from anywhere I've eaten. That includes Woolf's Wonderful Premium Homemade Ice Cream. I discovered this place when I was in Iceland last time in 2018. Holly and I went here twice. 

And speaking of eating, look how many people you could eat with this truck. Iceland had so many tiny cars, medium trucks, and huge vans all with giant tires and wide axles  

Reflections:

Grand total miles: 876.75 according to my Garmin watch.

Loved this short biking trip. Despite being short it felt Eternal at times. However, in the end, as with all good things, went by way too fast. It was harder than I expected. Unpredictable weather and very harsh winds with a bit of cold. And I'll confess that there was a small moment, in Svinafell, where I wasn't sure if we would be able to finish the trip and I'd have to hang my head low. But the terrain/elevation wasn't difficult. Traffic was mostly mild despite not much shoulder for a majority of the trip. We had a positive experience with our bike rentals and would probably purchase a similar bike for when our route goes off road such as Asia and Africa. Holly was a champion as per usual. She's a terrific companion to have on these rides. And I'm not just saying that because she's my wife, either. Now we're trying to come up with a plan for our next adventure. #The Adventures.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Is it legal to eat Whale meat? I thought it would be illegal. What did it taste like?

Chris said...

What made this trip hard? Was it rugged terrain? Challenging weather?

Chris said...

Can you do a blog post that summarizes what you had to do in order to make this trip happen? Things like gear list, travel plan, where to rent a bike, how much everything cost, etc. I think that's what the people want to know.

Kimball said...

All good questions.

Yes, it's legal but is it ethical? That's the real question. The illegal one is shark fin soup I think. The whale meat had a very smooth texture with a strong fishy taste. Not as strong as anchovy though.

The trip was harder than expected because of the winds. We stayed on the Ring Road mostly and it didn't have that much elevation gain as it would have been if we had crossed through the middle on the F-roads.

I will grant you that blog post request, Chris. Thanks!

Mom said...

Were you able to shower and wash clothes very often? Perhaps your odor preceded you and that's why the restaurant had you sit outside,? Honest question!

Kimball said...

Most of the campsites had showers and some had washing machines, too. So we were able to stay quite clean throughout.