Friday, July 8, 2022

Day 8: E-town to Guesthouse Skjöldólfsstadir

Miles: 32.1

Do you ever just hate everything? I hate when plans don't get met. And today I can thank the fiercest headwinds for that. Cut down our route by 50% or more.

But we prevailed.

"Still tired of being the fat guy, though." (Heavyweights. Got it.)

In other news, I've been reading a book each day during my rides, and I love it. Makes up for all the lost time reading during the school year since I can't listen to audiobooks while teaching, unfortunately. I have a lot of books on my libraries holding list that I've been finally whittling away at.

And our friend, Lisa, that we met in Hofn has been with us for three days now. It's nice having a 3rd party companion. But today we got separated in the winds so this may be the last time we all ride together.

First time seeing a proper colored sunset here in Iceland. Usually it's just cloudy. And this was at 1AM. 

Impending doom looming ahead.

The fosses are glazed over with sand.

This is how we rode while pushing our bikes for hours. Surprisingly, I wasn't that miserable as I thought I'd be.

We got some triple foss action going on here. 

You can see how strong the winds are in this pic. Look at the grass.

Well it's the end of the day. I'm worn out. and disappointed. 

But we did manage to hitchhike to this coolo gorge, which helped because it was out of the way so we don't have to make up this section since it was off route 1.

A guy flew his drone down it and I watched it all on his screen. Looked all rich. 

Since I minored in Geology I was teaching HQC all about these rock formations. She suggested that I get a Master's degree in Geology. Now I'm thunking like a monk.

If you looked down through the grates it was kinda scary. 

I'm in my element. This is my sanctuary. 


No comments: