Saturday, July 2, 2022

Day 2: Hella to Vik

Miles: 61

Foss means waterfall in Icelandic. Surprisingly everyone speaks Icelandic and most English. I'm surprised because it's a tiny country that still hangs onto its language. Also, it's weird not seeing anything that has to do with the former British Empire or any relatively recent wars. Actually seems kinda plain without that horrible history that ravages the rest of the free world. But I digress..

The days are long, but in a good way. 


First time seeing horses laying down. And they weren't dead either, like I thought.

I realized it's easier to read Japanese than Icelandic. How do you even say that letter at the end?

Four years ago I wasn't able to visit this because I came in December and it was dark when I drove by. I love the 24 hours of daylight but it comes with a pretty price.

"And shall spring forth as grass....flowers...and all manner of vegetation."

There she is. My Chow Mein. She said that name after I called her my Asian Cuisine, "What am I, your chow mein?!" (It's better when you hear it in her English accent which I love.)

Who wants to live here?

I can get used to this. However, my rump is still really sore. Doing a cross country biking trip takes your body about a week to get used to. 

There are many small caves in the volcanic igneous rock.

Some of them even house elves, which a small portion of the population believe in here. We picked up a hitchhiker a few days before our ride and she said there was a bridge that was delayed because the locals said it would ruin the elves' habitat.

One of the rare sunny days. They told us last summer they had one sunny day for two months.

Love the small towns with the conspicuous church.

The steepest hill we've had so far. 12% grade.

Our second campsite and making dinner in the kitchen. Who wants to caption what Holly is thinking here? Post your comments below!


2 comments:

Janalee said...

I don't remember you going to iceland before! do I?

Holly can't wait to meet big sis

Kimball said...

Yes, I went in 2018 for my 24 hour Spartan Race. right after I colored my hair blond.